A two day symposium on Religion Journalism will be conducted by the Griffith University Multifaith Centre, 30-31 October 2013
Religious freedom, human rights, and inter-religious relations are among the most contested values today.
Journalism today needs to be expert in the reporting and analysis of religion as it relates to the political and social realities of specific regions, religions and issues.
Some of the best minds in religion reporting will be in Australia to help us consider how best to cover today’s most controversial issue: religion. Sponsored by the Griffith University Multi-Faith Centre and the International Association of Religion Journalists, the symposium will showcase Australia’s capacity to lead in the Asia-Pacific region by bringing in journalists from around the world to share their experiences with and learn from local journalists.
Paul Marshall: Senior Fellow at the Hudson Institute, Washington DC, author of Blind Spot, When Journalists Don’t Get Religion
Endy Bayuni: Cheif Editor of Jakarta Post, Indonesia, specializing in religious issues; educator.
Peggy Fletcher Stack: Senior religion writer, Salt Lake Tribune, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Sarah Pullman Bailey: National correspondent, Religion News Service, Former managing editor of Odyssey Networks, and online editor for Christianity Today.
- The role of bias and objectivity in religion journalism
- Alternative media outlets reporting on faith
- Balancing minority group issues with majority group issues
- The secularization of religious conflicts
- Personal and professional challenges to reporting on faith
- How faith groups can engage positively with the media
- Covering religion in the digital age
- Concession (students with valid ID): $50/one day; $80/two days
- Griffith staff (with valid ID): $75/one day; $120/two days
- General: $100/one day; $160/two days
What: Symposium on Religion Journalism
When: 30 – 31 October 2013
Where: QCA Lecture Theater (S05_2.04)
Griffith University South Bank Campus
South Bank, Queensland
Download a Flyer for this event