Mekong Peace Journey Internship is next on the agenda as the Alliance for Conflict Transformation – Cambodia prepares for the ASEAN Youth summit in 2012.
The Mekong Peace Journey Internship is an intensive activity to hands-on the in-dept experiences for the young adult leaders through an internship program that provide a “Learning Process on Peace Building in Mekong Region.”
* In the Spirit of understanding, love, friendship and respect for each one’s diversity, unique identity and dignity, people from Mekong region live a life without borders in harmony and cooperation.
* People in Mekong Region join hand-in-hand to learn from the past, promote living values, condemn all forms of violence and discrimination and create and understand peaceful community history together.
* We, the people in Mekong region, live in a peaceful, equal and developed community that ensures sustainable livelihood and environment for all.
Mekong Peace Journey Internship is an intensive activity to hands-on the in-dept experiences for the young adult leaders through an internship program that provide a “Learning Process on Peace Building in Mekong Region” to develop young adult leaders from the Mekong region. It hopes to help them overcome the political, historical and cultural complexes and also to be competent to assume a relevant role and contribute to the development of the civil society. Civil societies of the Mekong region, in which the young generation plays an active role, need to be able to influence national and regional policies; and to counterbalance the present direction of development and bring forward development alternatives that uphold non-violence, equity and sustainable peace. Through peaceful communication and non-violent action with holistic, systematic and critical thinking, the youth can effectively lead the Mekong region in peace education, conflict management, collaboration and networking and environmental protection.
After the Mekong Peace Journey training was held the participants in the sub-Mekong region was returned back home and prepare their own activities plan to implement for the next young people in their countries. As the plan was set up after the Mekong Peace Journey training there will be select 2 among the 5 participants from represent countries to intern in exchange countries such as Cambodia, Loa, Thai, and Vietnam. The Regional Strategic Team was come together on the 1-4 of September to discuss on how to select the candidate, which countries that will host, and the process of the intern till the end of internship and the evaluation activities. The internship program expected to start at early of October till end of December 2011.
– The National Strategic Team(NST) and the host organization in each country will select two candidates from other country, take care of orientation, being mentor and monitoring during the learning process.
– The learning process will focus on young adult leaders participatory approach, motivational and encourage exchange of experiences and perspectives among participants from the respective countries.
– During internship program, cultural activity will held in order to promote and foster commonality among countries in Mekong Region. The activity can be like photo exhibition, workshop, short film, cultural performance, food festival, etc.
– At the end of internship period, NST have to follow up the returned MPJ intern by involving them in peace building activities at organizational and national levels.
– Evaluation of activity will take place during and the end of each activity through sharing (verbal) and evaluation form. At the end of project, NST will have a formal evaluation with candidates on their personal development and understanding and concern on peace issues in their country and Mekong region.
The Regional internship program was expected to:
1. Created ten committed young adult leaders who will promote peace in the region without the borders through the learning process on peace to develop decent qualities i.e. open-mindedness, enthusiasm, analytical skills and impartiality from historical/cultural prejudices.
2. Strategic Team in each country can effective monitor the selected candidate after the training by involving them in peace building activities at organizational and national levels.
3. The body knowledge of internship program on peace building was written by RST
4. The young adults attended the learning process equipped with local wisdom and global knowledge, actively participate and organize peace building activities at local and national level and become the mentor on peace for young people in their country with close collaboration with the strategic team.
5. A history document on identity and nationalism is written by young adults who have gone through the learning process in order to promote mutual understanding and friendship among people to people, non-violence way of change, multi-culturalism, tolerance, enabling youth leaders to work together as a network for peace and sustainable development in their countries and the Mekong region.
6. A workable platforms for Action such as Mekong Road to Peace Network, ASEAN Youth Forum in Cambodia 2012, New Media i.e. website, weblogs, social networking, etc. are taken action by MPJ intern batch 1 to continue their collaboration and engagement in building peace at various levels and many ways.
Photo Credit: ACT Cambodia